Monday 21 July 2008

Weekend!

Although it has been said that you "can never go home", weekends at the old family home are so relaxing that I feel as though I have had a weeks holiday!

Mum and Dad have been there for over thirty years and so I am quite familiar with the house and all it's quirks! Even though we have all moved out now, there is still room for us to visit for the weekend. It was just me this weekend (no brothers or wives or girlfriends!) and it was just nice to chill out and drink lots of tea and enjoy Mum and Dad's company - not to mention the two cats and one dog.

So, despite the still dismal summer, I had a great weekend and feel quite thoroughly rested!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It's nice to spend quality time with the family!

Danifred said...

I agree, there is nothing like going home!

Anonymous said...

I don't believe the "you can't go home" saying at all. I still call the house I grew up in (and that my parents still live in) "home." I go there often and love it. It's like a portal to the past - sometimes that's good and sometimes bad. I go back to a stress free time of little responsibility. I am the child, not the mother. Sometimes that is like rejuvenating my batteries. For a little glimpse of time someone is waiting on me, taking care of me. It's nice to, for a little bit of time, not take care of someone else!

(visitor from ICLW)

Anonymous said...

Hello Tash...

I'm on the other side of the fence..hoping that my kids will spend some time in the family home without me driving them too crazy. It's lovely that you feel so comfortable.

I'm here from the comment thingie (whose initials I cannot remember but it is hosted by stirrup queen).

Lovely to meet you!

Tee said...

Hi again Tash (just commented on a different post of yours). Having moved around every year or two from the age of about 6 months to about 24 I am somewhat envious when I hear stories like yours. I lost my sense of 'returning home' at around 18 when my parents sold the home they built to move overseas. It was the longest place I'd ever lived in (7 years, 2 of which were at boarding school).
I only hope that my own children can come home (to me and Dez) when they grow up and move out and are filled with the same nostalgia that you have.
Tee (from comment week)